Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Wonders of Our "Situation"

As lesbian mothers, Rachel and I have the pleasure of making the rules up as we go... The other day, I had a wonderful conversation with my grandmother. The result = she wanted to let me know that my teenage cousin, Kathryn, (who was also in our wedding), is interested in being referred to as Lucy's "aunt" rather than just "cousin." Since I do not have any sisters, and Kathryn would make a wonderful role model for Lucy, it was a clear decision- we promoted Kathryn to "Aunt Kathryn." An additional factor, is that I have a truly wonderful relationship with my aunt, Tammy, Kathryn's mom; one that I truly value and treasure. Some day, I am positive that Lucy will value and treasure the role that Kathryn plays in her life.

Kathryn- August 18, 2007 (Erica & Rachel's Wedding).

2 comments:

Truth Serum said...

That is a wonderful gift to give to Lucy. I feel close to my first cousin's children, and I find aunthood very rewarding.

Mary said...

They say that you can't choose your family, but I know that "they" are wrong. Hang it all together however you need to or want to...When I think about Lucy lately, I keep hearing the Ani DiFranco line: "for someone who's not even here yet/look how much the world loves you". And that is what every child should know...
Love you!