Monday, November 23, 2009

Curve Balls....

Life throws curve balls at you…




When you’re least expecting it, life sometimes hands you circumstances to see how well you are able to cope. As a social worker, I base my current status on the ability to provide for my family and the ability to provide to individuals in a community that I “believe in.” Prior to my current position, as a social work supervisor on the BRAND new Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and transgender unit, I worked with adolescents on a long-term residential unit. Both of which, I “believed in!” My last position, I worked as the only social worker on the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender in-patient unit of one of the well known, “Ivy League” psychiatric hospitals. It literally just celebrated its 175th year in existence and I just recently celebrated my 3rd year of employment. Sadly, following my three year review, I received notice that my position was being eliminated as a reduction in force throughout the hospital. Where does that leave me? As an unemployed, licensed in Massachusetts and Vermont, LICSW, with a heart of gold, a decent resume, and a family to support.

As we all know, social workers don’t get rich due to their profession. The non-profit world does not create an atmosphere where one can make a decent living; however, with a LICSW, one would think that I can become employed rather quickly. On the other hand, I’m not desperate enough to take any employment opportunity that falls upon my lap. Fortunately, I have a wife who makes a decent wage and with some per diem work, we are able to supplement our income enough for me to be able to choose a position that works for me and family.

Speaking of family… Lucy amazes me daily. She is up on both hands and knees trying to crawl; however, she hasn’t put all of the mechanics together in order to make it happen yet. She is VERY close! Also, she has been sick with a cold this week. She has quite a nasty cough and nasal congestion. We made an emergency appointment to the pediatrician’s office today. He, not our general pediatrician, stated that Lucy’s ears were “generally” clear, but that we might want to follow-up on the left one in about 2 weeks because it looks “suspicious.” And, that she doesn’t have the “flu” because she doesn’t have a fever; however, if she spikes a fever and/ or becomes unable to sleep at night, to bring her in immediately. He also, sadly, told us that we should not travel to California on Wednesday because Lucy would just be “miserable” and the two moms would spend the entire plane trip trying to provide symptom relief. He stated “If possible, I would reschedule for a time that Lucy is feeling better because everybody (you, your wife, all the plane passengers, and the folks that we’re visiting) will enjoy the trip better!” I appreciated the pediatrician’s advice & I immediately went to CVS to obtain the saline solution that he suggested would help loosen Lucy’s phlegm and nasal congestion.

Currently, Lucy is asleep, but these periods of sleep only last for a short amount of time while she is not feeling well. Generally, our baby is so wonderful and hardly fusses. In general, Lucy Elizabeth Masson is a wonderfully happy, content, and secure baby.


No comments: