Monday, December 1, 2008

Beginning Week # 18 with Excitement...

Did you know that because Rachel’s uterus is growing so rapidly, that her center of gravity shifts? Not only is her uterus the size of a cantaloupe, her lower back has pulled forward and her abdomen is now thrust out more. The most fascinating fact of this week, for me, is that in the next few weeks, Rachel will be able to start feeling fetal movements; they’re described as feeling like gas bubbles, but this is definitely assurance that she’s carrying a baby and not just the produce department (as “What to Expect” always describes size in comparison to produce). I’m not exactly sure how Rachel’s shifted center of gravity affects me, but I wonder if this means she will topple over more easily or if she shouldn’t be climbing ladders or standing at great heights. Hmmm…. Six feet in the air is a great height to me, does this mean she needs to sit all the time? Gee whiz… according to WebMD, the only time women notice a difference in their balance is primarily during the third trimester causing them to feel “perpetually off-balance” which is caused by a hormone called Relaxin which apparently is released towards the end of pregnancy to allow the hips, knees, and ankles to be more flexible and ultimately it makes the woman feel more wobbly, achy, and more likely to fall. I guess I’ll continue to allow Rachel to stand tall for now because good posture is very important to alleviate some of the related back aches and pains associated with pregnancy.

At this point, most women are visibly pregnant… but Rachel is still “theoretically” pregnant because to the unsuspecting, ordinary person, Rachel appears to be a six foot tall, slender woman who, as always, is glowing, happy, and boisterous. Though, on my way to work this morning, I got a call on my cell phone from Rachel stating “My work clothes don’t fit me anymore (because of the baby bump).” To which I replied, “Well, you could wear my clothes.” But after a brief second of thought, we both agreed: 1) As most of you know, she & I have entirely different styles- not to mention the feminine nature of her clothing and the masculine nature of my clothing, and the pure fact that I don’t share well with others (yeah, you heard me correctly- I think it’s a product of being the oldest child & always being forced to share things with my younger brothers- I don’t know, but that’s a good excuse and I don’t necessarily have to take responsibility for it); and 2) She’s much taller than I am which would cause my pants to be “high waters” or my shirts to be “½ shirts” none of which would be appropriate for her business attire needed for work. So…. Yes folks, we’re in a clothing quandary… but alas, Rachel found a decent solution which was recommended by, our trusty, advice giving, queen of all things motherly, Kim, and secondly “What to Expect.” She purchased a “belly band.” (I hope I’m not sharing too much information because this could be cause for Rachel to banish me to the couch, or worse, the camper). Anyways, Rachel has another check-up with the midwife this week (I think it's on Thursday) & I'm sure I'll have more information following that appointment, but because I lack time-off, I don't get to attend the meeting with her. BLECH! I believe that we will be able to have an ultrasound during the week of Christmas where we "could" discover the gender of our baby... we'll keep our fingers crossed!

According to a “well-known” pregnancy store, a “belly band” is a seamless, maternity accessory band that you wear at your waistline, over your unbuttoned pre-pregnancy pants, over slightly big maternity pants, or around the waistband of any maternity clothing that falls down. Rachel purchased one and wore it all day yesterday. She reports that it was comfortable, soft, and easy to wear. At first, I totally didn’t understand this contraption and she said “It’s like a tube top for your belly.” Which for some odd reason, made much more sense to me… I know nothing about tube tops, they actually puzzle me, but for some reason, it helped me better understand this new article of clothing. The band holds up your pants, disguising unzipped/ buttoned pants, and creates a smooth belly surface (or a lack of bulkiness around the belly bump). The best part, that makes the MOST sense to me, with the belly band, no one has to know your pants are undone or loose. And, according to the “well-known” pregnancy store, you can conceal your belly band or let it peek out from under your top for that hip, layered look. If your shirt rises, it looks like a t-shirt or camisole - not a funky mechanism (like safety pins or straps) to expand your waistband or hold up your pants. Thank god for the belly band because maternity clothing is ungodly expensive and mostly ugly, non-fashionable, and unappealing to my beautiful wife.

Now, what the HECK is going on inside Rachel’s belly (or uterus to be exact)? Well, the baby is definitely growing like a weed; he or she is about 5 ½ inches long and approximately 5 ounces. The baby continues its acrobatics, but this week has also perfected its yawn. Not only is he/ she becoming more talented and acquiring more tricks, but the nerves are now covered with a substance called myelin (which speeds messages from nerve cell to nerve cell), are forming more complex connections. And those in the brain are further specializing into the ones that serve the senses of touch, taste, smell, sight, and hearing. Talking about hearing, the baby's is growing more acute, making him/ her more conscious of sounds that come from inside your body.

Okay, so that is the “facts and statistics” and details of this week. But, many of you might want to know what is going on in our lives outside of Rachel’s uterus. Well, Rachel’s travel for work has ceased for the time being, well as least through the holidays. She continues to be busy with work, but luckily, she had the week of Thanksgiving off during which time, she completed some items on the “honey-do list.” Window treatments were at the top of that list over the past week, especially because we had company for Thanksgiving. Rachel installed, purchased, and dressed our living room windows- we now have a much warmer and inviting living area. Additionally, yesterday we went to Home Depot to purchase paint for the walls that have been stark white since we moved in a little over two years ago. We finally agreed upon “Cobblestone” with an accent wall of “Cup of Cocoa” which both are in the earth-tone, tan/ brown spectrum. We’re also in the process of obtaining some assistance with re-doing our bathroom. A brand new toilet sits in its box, in the kitchen, while the ceiling has a brand new heat light and is awaiting a skim-coat and ceiling paint, we’re anticipating a purchase of a pedestal sink in the near future, and will most likely also paint the walls and the wood work. As for me, I’m still working my tail feathers off at the Brattleboro Retreat as a therapist in the co-ed residential program. I’m currently completing a certificate program at a local graduate school in non-profit management and I’m working approximately two shifts per week in the admissions department (at the Retreat) assisting with admitting patients who require in-patient level of care. I enjoy my job, but it was blissful to have four consecutive days off over the holiday weekend. We continue to entertain, train, and parent two wonderfully needy dogs, Riley and Grace, and two independent cats who crave attention, Midnight and Greta. Lastly, the weather in New England continues to exhibit unstable, and undesirable forecasts- yesterday, it rained, snowed, and became slushy; today its “mild” and we can expect temperatures in the low-50’s, and by Friday we can expect extremely cold, and unpleasant weather- highs, as described by the local radio station, in the low-30’s with wind-chills causing it to feel much colder. Now I ponder…. “Wouldn’t it be much easier to hibernate until the baby is born?”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this mean we can start a new sport?
Rachael Tipping?
WHEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Kim said...

Queen of all things motherly?!?! Ha! I am so glad I have you both fooled, but don't let me kid you--I don't know what the heck I am doing! I will, however, continue to dole out the advice and force you to take all of my no-longer-needed baby stuff because, hey, that's the kind of gal I am :)

It was so great to see you guys the other day--Rachel, you are radiant as ever!

Anonymous said...

I'm feeling a little gassy the last few days...I think I might be preggers too!!

Mary said...

Thankfully, I never had to dress professionally when I was pregnant with any of the kids! Ug! Plus, I wasn't "visibly" pregnant until the 3rd trimester. So, Go Rachel! Belly bands sound fabulous!